A Proud Minnesota community
The first settlers to the area were, of course, American Indians.
The Indian trail that led to their ricing and fishing areas in Forest Lake and
Hugo ran across Rose Township. Dakota tribes used this trail extensively, which
increased their contact with the Euro-American settlers. A reunion occurred
when Cloudman's (Dakota) band was traveling on the trail and discovered that
their childhood friend, Jane Gibbs, who, with her foster missionary family,
had lived with them as a small child near Lake Harriet, now lived near the
trail. Following the abandonment of treaty-promised payments
(food rations, supplies, and money) and then the Uprising of 1862,
the Indians were forced from the area.
Roseville was settled by farmers in the 1840s. In the spring of 1843, Stephen Desnoyer settled with his family in what would soon be known as Rose Township. Later that year Isaac Rose and his family, arriving by boat from Illinois, settled near Desnoyer. In 1849, Heman and Jane Gibbs settled at the present-day corner of Cleveland and Larpenteur in the newly-named Ramsey County and and Minnesota Territory. In 1850 the federal government ordered a land survey, Isaac Rose was the surveyor, and the township in which he lived received his name.
As a community, the settlers established a town government. In 1858 Rose Township organized a voting precinct, elected town officers, and levied taxes. Early settlers such as D. Baker, E. Larpenteur, W. Hendrickson, and W. Aldrich, held government offices. The population of the township in 1860 was 499, by 1880 it had risen to 877. Early immigrants to the area moved from the eastern United States, Germany, Prussia, Ireland, Canada, and Norway.